Sunday, February 8, 2009

A book that changed my life .. early on


Among all the books that I have read or heard.. This is a life changer and I mean it. I had heard some sort of an audio version of this book when a great (unknown) master had mentioned in his discourses which in turn was brought in by my teacher at my engineering college.

Just a jist : is a 1981 book by Harold Kushner, a Conservative rabbi. Kushner addresses in the book one of the principal problems of theodicy (justice of god), the conundrum of why, if the universe was created and is governed by a God who is of a good and loving nature, there is nonetheless so much suffering and pain in it — essentially, the evidential problem of evil.

This devout Rabbi (jewish priest), an excellent human being , devoted to god throughout his life
has to see his young son, Aaron, who die at age 14 in 1977 of the incurable genetic disease progeria in which the body ages faster.

Bottomline : he had to see his son die in front of his eyes , every day by seeing him grow old much faster than him and was helpless..

3 comments:

  1. One book, which changed my life, is " The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.

    This book is nothing but carrying the message of "Geeta".

    My Ex-chief who is now heading Tata Motors Jamshedpur unit at Bangalore Airport in 2006 has gifted it to me.

    It happened so I gifted him " 7 habits of highly effective people ", he smiled & from the same airport bookstall he gifted me this book.

    "The power of Now" has made me to drop a lot of baggage of past & become lean.

    A very good book for all.

    Regards,

    http://eckharttolle.com/the_power_of_now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor - From the Curious case of Benjamin to the Progerian case of Aaron, it is rather painful to picturise the feeling of both the fathers seeing their sons grow(one aging backwards & other aging ahead of time). Was reminded of one other movie "the Pursuit of Happyness", a father's attachment with his son and how they cope with every situation in life. Completely floored by Will Smith's acting as Chris Gardner - worth a watch movie.

    ReplyDelete